Rei : A Policy Specification Language
Status: Past project
Rei is a policy language based in OWL-Lite that allows policies to be specified as constraints over allowable and obligated actions on resources in the environment. Rei also includes logic-like variables giving it the flexibility to specify relations like role value maps that are not directly possible in OWL. Rei includes meta policy specifications for conflict resolution, speech acts for remote policy management and policy analysis specifications like what-if analysis and use-case management making it a suitable candidate for adaptable security in the environments under consideration. The Rei engine, developed in XSB, reasons over Rei policies and domain knowledge in RDF and OWL to provide answers about the current permissions and obligations of an entity, which are used to guide the entity's behavior.
Start Date: April 2002
End Date: May 2005
There are 21 associated publications: Hide the list...
18 Refereed Publications
1. Lalana Kagal et al., "Security, Privacy and Trust in Mobile Computing Environments", InBook, Handbook of Mobile Computing, Editors Imad Mahgoub and Mohammad Ilyas, December 2004.
2. Lalana Kagal et al., "Declarative Policies for Describing Web Service Capabilities and Constraints", InProceedings, W3C Workshop on Constraints and Capabilities for Web Services, October 2004, 7284 downloads.
3. Anand Patwardhan et al., "Enforcing Policies in Pervasive Environments", InProceedings, International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services, August 2004, 4917 downloads.
4. Mark Cornwell et al., "A Policy Based Collaboration Infrastructure for P2P Networking", InProceedings, Twelfth International Conference on Telecommunication Systems, Modeling and Analysis, July 2004.
5. Lalana Kagal et al., "Modeling Conversation Policies using Permissions and Obligations", InProceedings, AAMAS 2004 Workshop on Agent Communication (AC2004), July 2004, 3780 downloads.
6. Lalana Kagal et al., " Authorization and Privacy for Semantic Web Services", Article, IEEE Intelligent Systems (Special Issue on Semantic Web Services), July 2004, 2110 downloads.
7. Mark Cornwell et al., "Autonomic Policy-Based Collaboration for Cross-Agency Human Teams", InProceedings, Conference on the Human Impact and Application of Autonomic Computing Systems (CHIACS2), April 2004, 3287 downloads.
8. Lalana Kagal et al., "Authorization and Privacy for Semantic Web Services", InProceedings, First International Semantic Web Services Symposium, AAAI 2004 Spring Symposium, March 2004, 8145 downloads.
9. "A Secure Infrastructure for Service Discovery and Access in Pervasive Computing", Article, ACM Monet: Special Issue on Security in Mobile Computing Environments, October 2003, 3532 downloads.
10. Grit Denker et al., "Security for DAML Web Services: Annotation and Matchmaking", InProceedings, Second International Semantic Web Conference , September 2003, 3595 downloads.
11. Lalana Kagal et al., "A Policy Based Approach to Security for the Semantic Web", InProceedings, 2nd International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2003), September 2003, 10233 downloads.
12. Lalana Kagal et al., "A Policy Language for A Pervasive Computing Environment", InCollection, IEEE 4th International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks, June 2003, 4315 downloads.
13. Lalana Kagal et al., "A Security Architecture Based on Trust Management for Pervasive Computing Systems", InProceedings, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, October 2002, 4916 downloads.
14. Lalana Kagal, "An Agent Approach to Security for Pervasive Computing Environments", InProceedings, Doctoral Consortium, The Eighteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 02), July 2002.
15. Lalana Kagal et al., "Developing Secure Agent Systems Using Delegation Based Trust Management", InProceedings, Security of Mobile Multi-Agent Systems Workshop, Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2002) , July 2002, 4711 downloads.
16. Lalana Kagal et al., "Trust-Based Security in Pervasive Computing Environments", Article, IEEE Computer, December 2001, 8174 downloads.
17. Lalana Kagal et al., "A Delegation Based Model for Distributed Trust", InProceedings, Workshop on Autonomy, Delegation, and Control: Interacting with Autonomous Agents, International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence, August 2001, 496 downloads.
18. Lalana Kagal et al., "A Framework for Distributed Trust Management", InProceedings, Second Workshop on Norms and Institutions in multi-agent systems, June 2001, 3111 downloads.
3 Non-Refereed Publications
1. Lalana Kagal, "Rei : A Policy Language for the Me-Centric Project", TechReport, HP Labs, September 2002, 3419 downloads.
2. Lalana Kagal et al., "Vigil: Providing Trust for Enhanced Security in Pervasive Systems", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, August 2002, 4658 downloads.
3. Andrej Cedilnik et al., "A Secure Infrastructure for Service Discovery and Access in Pervasive Computing", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, August 2001, 3836 downloads.
There are 7 associated resources: Hide the list...
2. Authorization and Privacy for Semantic Web Services, Web Site.
3. Chiacs 2004 presentation, Presentation.
4. Modeling Conversation Policies as Policies, Presentation.
5. Rei examples, Web Site.
6. Rei Ontologies, Web Site.
7. Rei Specifications, Web Site.